Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Squid With XO Sauce

We had dinner @ Fish & Co last Saturday, the rubbery fried calamari rings that I sent back to the kitchen left me thinking about squid these few days. Of all the seafood, squid is my favourite, I could just have a plate of fried squid, nothing else, for a meal, I'll be so satisfied !
Since I couldn't get it off my mind, I ended up with 6 squids this morning, they must be about 1kg. Frankly, I hate cleaning squids, which could be quite messy & leave my fingers stinking !
I make diagonal cuts on the squids so they will curl up after cooking.

Ingredients :

6 squids, cleaned & cut into pcs
4 Tbsp XO sauce
3 cloves garlic, sliced
5 sprigs spring onions, chopped
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp soya sauce
1 Tbsp Hua Tiao wine

Season the squids with 1/2 tsp salt, dash of pepper & 1 Tbsp corn flour, set aside for 10 mins. Bring a pot of water to boil, add squid quickly, blanch & drain. I found that seasoning the squid with cornflour leave the squid soft even after cooking, not rubbery & they won't be soggy after frying, I remembered watching my mum frying squids, there's always liquid coming out from the squids even after cooking. But after the seasoning & blanching, there's none !

Heat some oil in a wok, add XO sauce & garlic, cook till garlic is browned & aromatic, return squid to pan, add soya sauce, sugar & the Hua Tiao wine, stir to combine, add spring onions & turn off heat.

2 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

agree with u tt squid we get now don't taste good. i think it's all tt freezing n storage time. a friend frm the chemistry dept warned us to not be fooled by the ice cubes used by fishmongers bc the ice cubes usually contain a chemical (forgot its name but its not formalin). isn't tt terrible!

ganache-ganache said...

Yes Terri, I agree with you, those ppl are adding chemicals into our daily food nowadays, terrible.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails