Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Noodle With Preserved Szechuan Vegetable (榨菜肉丝面)

This is our favourite noodle dish, it's such a comfort food, I could eat it everyday if not for the preserved Szechuan vegetable, well just the noodle & soup will be so satisfying !

I made my stock from scratch, with 6 big pork bones, Jin Hua ham, ginger, onion, carrot & spring onion. All these went into the stock pot with enough water to cover the bones, bring to boil & turn down heat, let simmer for 8 hours. At the last 30 mins, I turn up the heat to let the stock boil again, like that cloudy soup in my noodle. Strain the stock, let cool & leave it in the refrigerator over night so the thick layer of fat on top can be easily removed. I can never get that white milky soup when I cook my pork bone stock, even after 10 hours, wonder how those ramen chains do it ???

As for the rou si (肉丝), I've used chicken breast fillet, marinated with sesame oil, soya sauce, sugar, pepper, Shao Hsing wine & corn flour. I bought 2 fists size preserved Szechuan vegetable, rough edges trimmed off & cut them into strips, rinsed & soaked in water for about 20 mins to remove the excess saltiness.
Heat oil in a pan, add the marinated chicken fillets, cook till browned, remove from pan. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic into the pan, cook till fragrant, add Szechuan vegetable, followed by 1 cup water. Bring to boil & let the vege simmer for 10 mins, add a dash of sesame oil, soya sauce, Shao Hsing wine & 1 Tbsp sugar. Taste can be adjusted to individual's preference. Add the chicken fillet into the pan, mix well, thicken the sauce with a little corn flour mixture.
I usually buy my noodle from the corner coffee shop @ Bornion Centre, next to the mini-market. I buy them by kilo, portion them accordingly & freeze them for later use. The texture of this noodle is just like the frozen ramen that Recipes House is selling !
After removing the fat layer from the stock, bring it to boil & season to taste.
Cook the noodle in boiling water & plunge into cold water to stop it from cooking & for that Al-Dente texture. Place noodle into serving bowl, laddle the hot stock into the bowl, top with the preserved vegetable & meat, with a sprinkle of chopped spring onion, my comfort food is ready to be served..........

3 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

oh, this is my MIL's staple n we love it! urs look superlicious. i get milky pork bones soup, but only sometimes. maybe shd ask the butcher. hey, where's bornion centre?? i get my fresh noodles at the corner shop (noodles with ham choy) in foh san, next to the mini wet market. i wonder if it's the same shop. RM4/kg?

ganache-ganache said...

ya, that's the shop, their noodle is fantastic (they always give me almost 1.5kg, haha) ! I thought that's bornion centre, foh sang is the one next to the big drain......

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

yes yes, they always give more! the old man's cute but smokes nonstop. i like their noodles bc its not colored. maybe its called bornion, i'm all mixed up.if u want instant noodles next time, try making men tiao, really tasty n quick :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails