Friday, August 1, 2008

Baked Chicken Risotto

I was going through my freezer on Thursday night, wondering what should I cook for lunch yesterday. There are prawns, squid & chicken breast in it. Not prawns again, we've had prawn wanton noodle on Thursday, got to control my seafood intake cos' my LDL is on the little high side (it runs in the family), have been delaying my blood test this year, got to go soon (lazy again !)
Back to the lunch, well I was deciding between Paella, no cross out, too indulging for a weekday lunch, prawn risotto, no just had prawn yesterday & I have no time to make prawn stock. I left the house yesterday morning @ 7.15am to run some errands & was only back at 10am. So since I have a red capsicum in the fridge & some salami in the freezer, I decided on the easy chicken risotto which is oven baked.

Ingredients :

1 chicken breast, sliced
1/2 cup salami, sliced
1 red capsicum, seeded & chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed *
1 tsp turmeric *
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cup short grain rice *
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can chopped/crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
Chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 190C.

In a large oven proof pan over medium heat, melt some butter with 2 Tbsp olive oil, cook onion, garlic & salami till lightly brown, add capsicum, turmeric & pepper, cook for another 2 mins. Add rice, tomatoes, 2 cups stock, stir well to combine.

Place pan in oven, bake uncovered for 10 mins, stir in peas, chicken breast & remaining stock, bake for another 10-15 mins or until rice is cooked, stir in chopped parsley.

*I'm a garlic lover so I must have used 10 cloves of garlic. I don't like my risotto to be coloured by turmeric, so I've replaced the turmeric with a pinch of saffron strands, infusing them in the chicken stock for the flavour & colour. As for the rice, I used the medium grain arborio rice that I got from Tong Hing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails