Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sweet Water Chesnut Soup (生磨马蹄露)

Saturday is the day I do my weekly marketing at Foh Sang next to the big drain. I'll buy a week's supply of meat or fish & some fruits. Back home I'll cut up whatever I've bought, portion them & freeze in individual containers. I just have to defrost them when I've decided what to cook the following week, that makes it easier for me because when I get busy with my baking I don't need to run out to the market just to get a chicken breast or maybe some prawns ! This is also the day I prepare my stock to be frozen for later use & to make desserts too ! Today I didn't make any stock, instead whipped up few desserts that will last us for a few days ........

I got 2 bags of water chesnut this morning, 1 kg in total weight. I always but extra because there's always some rotten ones in the bag. From these water chesnuts, I make ourselves some sweet water chesnut soup (生磨马蹄露).

Ingredients :

1kg Water chesnut, peeled
10 Pandan leaves, tied into a knot
3 Tbsp Corn flour
3 Egg whites
Rock sugar to taste

With a chopper or food processor, mince water chesnut till fine. In a saucepan with about 5-6 cups water of water, add pandan leaves, bring to boil, add rock sugar to taste, remove pandan leaves & 1/2 cup of the syrup. Add minced water chesnut to the sugar syrup, bring to boil again.
Mix the cornflour with the 1/2 cup cooled sugar syrup, add this to the water chesnut mixture to thicken it & turn off the heat. Lastly, add the eggwhites into the soup in a light swirl.

I will post the other desserts & recipes when I come back from my annual 7K run @ Sutera Harbour, got to go load some carbo into my tummy for the run............

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails