Sunday, July 13, 2008

Blueberry Bagels

The bagels that had just been shaped, ready for proving

After proving, cooking in the sugar syrup

After the sugar syrup bath, ready to be sent into the oven


I was thinking of what to make for breakfast for tomorrow morning, bagels crossed my mind & I still have few packets of frozen bluberries in my freezer, so went ahead with the preparation after we sent the girls to church.

Ingredients :

500g High protein flour
6g Instant dry instant
40g Caster sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
190g Milk
100g Frozen bluberries
10g Butter

Mix all ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook until well combined.
Add butter, continue to mix on medium speed for about 15 mins till smooth (the dough will be dry). Let prove in awarm place for 1hr. Divide dough into 8 pcs, about 105g each, round each dough pc firmly into a ball & place the dough pcs onto a baking trey lined with greasepfoor paper, let them rest in the fridge for 20 mins.
Remove from fridge, make a hole in each ball, like a doughnut , about the width of 3 fingers. Let the dough pcs prove in a warm place for 30 mins. In the meantime prepare sugar syrup with 750g of water & 40g of sugar, bring to boil. I've used my large non-stick pan to do it. After proving, place bagels into the sugar syrup, cook for a min on each side, remove with a slotted spoon, drain on ktchen towel. Place bagels onto baking tray again, brush with egg wash, bake in a preheated oven of 180 degrees for 20 mins.

* When I made the hole on the bagel, I've forgotten about the 3 fingers width, so have only used my thumb, after proving the hole had almost disappeared that's why the bagel looked not quite a bagel, sigh......... after placing the bagel into the sugar syrup, it turned wrinkled, like what Terri had mentioned ! It did smoothen out a little but still slightly wrinkled if you take a closer look. And I've forgotten to eggwash the bagel so it turned out slightly pale. What happened to me today, seemed to be lost......... nevertheless it turned out to be nice & chewy ! This is my second attempt, the third time I'll remember to make the hole for the bagel bigger & to eggwash before baking !

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails