Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Meatballs With Tomato Sauce




Hubby has been down with flu, cough & throat infection for the past week so our meals were either congee or soups for dinner. Most days this week, lunch were takeaways because I was busy running errands & left with no time to cook.

So today, I decided to cook hubby some meat, think he must be really deprived of it !

As usual, rummaging through my deep freezer I found some minced beef & containers of home-made tomato sauce, immediately meatballs were on my mind !
These are so easy to make & they freeze well, so I'll usually make a batch & freeze for future use, especially for the girls' lunchboxes.

I love smoky flavour in my meat dishes, especially smoked duck, grilled chicken wings or meatballs. Wright's liquid smoke seasoning is a must for me each time I make meatballs.

My meatball recipe :

700g Minced beef
1/2 Cup breadcrumbs
1/2 Cup Barbecue sauce
1 Egg
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Tsp each of dried basil & oregano
1 Tsp liquid smoke (if using)
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until they are well combined. Roll into ping pong ball size & lay them in a single layer on a foil-lined baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven of 200C for 25 mins or until well-browned. Serve the meatballs with home-made tomato sauce

* I only have 700g of minced beef in my freezer this time. This portion yields 25 meatballs.
I used to fry my meatballs but I always ended up smelling greasy from top to toe as if I've just stepped out of a burger joint's kitchen. So I now I prefer to bake my meatballs instead of frying them.

1 comment:

Rei said...

Hi Lorrine, you've been tagged! Check out my blog for details. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails