Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Our Dinner


Today we had spaghetti with tomato sauce, added some sausage to the sauce, with steamed broccoli at the side. I always steam our vegies & serve it with whatever food we're having.

There'll always be containers of tomato sauce in my freezer. I make the sauce from scratch & whenever the supply is running low, I'll whip up a batch. I use the sauce for pasta, baked rice, pizza, shepherd pies & sometimes tomato based soup. I make mine with :

- lots of garlic & onion, coarsely chopped ( I'm a die hard garlic fan)
- 2 kg very ripe tomatoes, halved & seeded, blanched in boiling water
for a min, drain & let cool, peel the skin off & chop coarsely
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can tomato puree
2 bay leaves, dash balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar), some chopped oil soaked sun-dried tomatoes (if any), basil & oregano.

Heat a large saucepan with olive oil, cook onion & garlic till soft,add bay leaves, followed by basil & oregano, add tomato paste, puree, chopped tomatoes, vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes. Cover saucepan, let simmer over low heat for 2-3 hrs, stirring occasionally.
I don't season my sauce, seasoning is added when I cook with it, depending on what dish I'm cooking.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails