Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Castle Cake



I did my first fondant cake yesterday, after 2 years of drooling at fantastic fondant cake that other bakers produced. I've always wanted to try but lack of confidence, not even for my girls' cake !

Finally, the opportunity came. A friend wanted a castle cake for her king who turns 6 today. Initially I was still hesitating but after looking at those wonderful cake that Soni made & her encouragement, I decided to give it a try.

This castle cake is of mocha flavour. I've tried baking one smaller cake to try last Sunday & just finished up the last slice 10 mins ago, it was still moist, the cake is sure a keeper !
I started working on this cake Monday evening, baked the 2 cakes & let them cool overnight before my 'designer' can start working on the castle. We've done our homework, going through my cake decoration books, the internet for all the important points we have to take note in fondant cake.

We've used ready to roll fondant as we're not very confident in making our own, imagine kneading so many kilos of icing sugar in a go !! Well, the ready made one is so pliable & easy to work with, we dyed the fondant with some blue colouring until we got the desired colour, it was fun, like playing with play-dough. The leftover blue fondant didn't go to waste, few drops of lemon yelow colouring was added to it & we get a bright green for the door & windows. I also whipped up a batch of royal icing for gluing the door & windows, some royal icing was also coloured yellow & green for piping around the cones & small cupcakes that hold the cones.
The sides of the castle was adorned with gummies & the board wrapped with a piece of blue aluminum craft paper to make it resemble water.

It was a good timing yesterday since it was a PH. After breakfast & gym session, we started with the castle at 12.30 pm, rolling, covering & decorating the cake. We spent 4 hrs working on it, it was tiring but definitely worth the effort. I couldn't believe my eyes when the castle cake was done, it was so beautiful, my 'designer' did a great job ! The castle weighed a whopping 4.2kg. To show my appreciation, dinner was on me last night............

4 comments:

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Gong Xi Gong Xi !!!
I need to attend a class from u soon

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

whoaaa!

Anonymous said...

amazing....can i take a lesson from you.

ganache-ganache said...

Denise : hey, not me lah, my 'designer' !

Terri : it was so much fun but maybe we took too long with the cake, how long did you take when you make the Nemo cake ?

Nee : Thanks, I not up to standard yet lah, next time hahaha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails