Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mocha Chiffon Cake



Each time I have a craving for cakes & lazy to go through the hassle of frosting a cake, I'll turn to chiffon cake. Light, fluffy & so easy to make, it can be done in less than an hour.
This time, I added some instant coffee granules to my chocolate chiffon cake batter to turn it into a mocha flavoured one.

Ingredients :
A

42g Plain flour
12g Cocoa powder
3g Baking powder
36g Sunflower/canola oil
5g Cornflour
42g Milk
15g Caster sugar
3 Egg yolks
2 tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tsp hot water

Ingredients :
B

3 Egg whites
50g Caster sugar
Pinch of tartar

Combine all of ingredients A in a large bowl, stir till smooth & lump free.
In a seperate dry, clean bowl, beat egg whites till foamy, add tartar & caster sugar. Continue beating till the mixture is thick & glossy.

Fold half the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture to lighten it, then fold the egg yolk mixture back to the egg white mixture, until well combined.

Pour batter into a 18cm tube pan. Bake in a preheated oven of 160C for 35 mins.

Once the cake is done, invert the pan & let the cake cool completely.

* Like my other chiffon cakes, this is baked in a table top oven. I noticed that the heat circulate faster so 160C is good enough, but with a built-in oven, the temperature should be 180C. But of course the temperature should be adjusted according to individual's oven.

2 comments:

cherry potato said...

Your chiffon cake turned out very well and looks nice! Can share a piece ah? hehe...I always make my chiffon and bake it at 150-160'C coz my oven temp. was too hot.If I use 180'C to bake the cake will rise up and crack faster but not cook in the middle.

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

i want cheese chiffon cake

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails