Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Apple Buns


The girls started their new term yesterday. It used to be much later than local schools but I'm still glad that it's a day later. I was out Monday afternoon & happened to be at Likas area where there's quite a number of schools there, the traffic jam was so so bad, we got to make a detour to get to Tanjung Lipat area.

Well, the girls are really happy to be back to school after a 3 week break, so am I ! They spent most of their holiday at home & I think they were really bored. We couldn't go anywhere because I was so busy with my festive baking but at least they got some hands-on fun in the cookie session.
Back to school means I have to start preparing their lunchbox & making bread every weekday, so no more lazing around..........

Back to the bread making, it's been weeks since I last baked some. I was thinking of some fruity bread so after flipping through my books, I decided on this apple buns from Alex Goh's World Of Bread. I've used his baisc sweet bun dough recipe :

Ingredients :
(A)
480g Bread flour
120g Plain flour
110g Sugar
10g Salt
20g Milk powder
4tsp Instant yeast

(B)
1 Egg
300ml Cold water

(C)
60g Butter

Mix (A) till well blended. Add (B) & knead to form a dough. Add (C), continue to knead to form a smooth & elastic dough.

Place dough in a large bowl, cover & let it prove for 50 - 60 mins or until it doubles in size.

Filling :
(A)
400g Apples, cut into cubes
150g Sugar *
Pinch of salt
110ml Water
1Tbsp Lemon juice

(B)
40g Cornflour*
40ml Water

(C)
20g Butter

Cook (A) til boiling, add the premixed (B) & continue cooking till mixture thickens. Remove from heat, add (C) & mix till well blended. Leave to cool.

Divide the basic sweet bun dough into 70g portions, mould into balls & put them in the fridge to rest for 15 mins.
Roll the each dough ball out flat to make rectangle (L14cmXW12cm). Place some of the apple filling at one end & cut strips at the other end with a sharp knife. Roll them up from the filling end.
Put on a baking tray, lined with baking paper & leave to prove in a warm place for 45 mins or until they double in size.
Brush with egg wash, bake at preheated oven of 190C for 12 - 15 mins.

* I've used Royal Gala apples which I think are sweet so I've reduced the sugar to only 50g when cooking the apples. As for the cornflour & water, I found 40g of cornflour makes the filling too thick, the next time I will probably reduce the cornflour to 20g & water to 60g. I've also added a dash of cinnamon powder. I'm hopeless in shaping buns so I've made them round instead !

1 comment:

Deeba PAB said...

Just found your blog..I'm a self-taught passinate baker too! Great to have bumped into you! These buns look very yummy! Cheers Deeba

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails