Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Garlic-Mustard-Grilled Beef Skewers



We had a great lunch today. Of all cooking styles, I suddenly crave for grilling today, in the intense heat outside. I just had to finish up the 2 pcs of tenderloin I have in the deep freezer.

I've been looking for beef skewers recipe & happened to find this garlicky recipe from Bobby Flay's Grilling For Life.

Ingredients :
Garlic-mustard glaze

1/4 cup Whole grain mustard
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Soya sauce
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 Tsp Spanish paprika
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper

Grilled beef skewers

2 Pounds beef tenderloin
Twelve 6-inch wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 mins

Preparation
For garlic-mustard glaze

Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl, cover & let sit at room temperature for at least 30 mins & up to 4 hrs before using.

For grilled beef skewers

Heat your grill to high.

Cut the tenderloin lengthwise in half, then cut the halves lengthwise in half again. Slice crosswise to make 24 equal pcs. Skewer 2 pcs of beef onto each skewer, keeping them together at one end of the skewer. Place the skewers in a baking dish or on a baking sheet, pour half of the glaze over the meat & turn to coat.

Grill the meat, turning once & brushing with the remaining glaze, for 4 - 6 mins until golden brown, slightly charred & cooked to medium-rare. Transfer the skewers to a cutting board & let rest for 5 mins.

Place the skewers on a platter & serve hot.

* I only have a pound of tenderloin so I halved the garlic-mustard glaze. I cut the beef into cubes so it'll be easier for the girls to handle. I don't have Spanish paprika (don't know what this is) so I used Hungarian paprika from McCormick (wonder id they are thye same ?). The fresh rosemary leaves has been substituted with dried ones as I only have fresh thyme in my fridge. I left out the whole-grain mustard as some readers commented that the mustard flavour is too overpowering. Since I only have a pound of tenderloin, I halved the glaze recipe & poured it over the beef cubes to marinate for 3 hours in the fridge. Just remove the beef cubes an hour before cooking & drain the marinate. I've also threaded some cherry tomatoes & onion onto the skewers before grilling. The skewers were cooked on a grill pan on a gas hob & they only took about slightly over a min on each side.

This recipe yields 12 skewers, with cherry tomatoes & onion,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails