Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Orange Butter Cake


This orange butter cake was baked 2 Sundays ago when I suddenly had a craving for butter cake, which is so high in fat, but who cares ? Cravings won !

This recipe was given to me by a friend long time ago. I scribbled it on a piece of paper & have kept the recipe since then. So finally I decided to give this recipe a try.

Ingredients :

225g Butter
225g Sugar (reduced from 300g) *
4 Eggs, seperated
275g Flour, sifted
1 tsp Baking powder
Juice & rind from 2 large oranges

Beat butter, sugar & orange rind until light & fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Add flour to the mixture in batches on low speed, alternatively with the orange juice.
In a seperate bowl, beat egg white with a pinch of tartar till foamy, add 2 Tbsp of sugar & continue beating till firm, fold it into the batter. When the mixture is well combined, pour it onto a greased & lined 9" square pan, bake in preheated oven of 180C for 40mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

* I've used 200g of the sugar when beating with the butter, the remaining sugar was used to beat the egg whites. This cake has a great orange flavour, When I sliced the cake after it has cooled down, I noticed that there seemed to be of 2 different shade on it & the texture wasn't really fantastic. However, the cake turned out to be moister the next day ! This cake is not a fluffy type, more to the denser type with tiny 'holes' but moist enough. To me, this recipe is worth keeping, anytime I have a craving for orange butter again :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails