Saturday, July 25, 2009

Berry Pie


My sweet tooth is aching again this morning. This time I wanted something not so sweet yet easy to prepare & bake. I happened to be browsing through Alex Goh's Irresistible Pastry & his berry pie caught my eyes.

I remembered there's still a portion of sweet pastry in the freezer. So I decided I could whip up a berry pie since there's frozen berries in the freezer too.

Sweet Pastry Recipe :

70g Icing sugar
150g Butter
1 Egg
260g Flour
1 Tbsp Milk powder

Mix icing sugar & butter till well combined, add in egg & cream till smooth.
Add flour & milk powder, mix till well blended. Refrigerate for 30 mins or till firm.

*The weight of the pastry is 540g.

Berry Pie :

300g Sweet pastry

Filling :

600g Berries
80g Sugar
2 Tbsp Corn flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Grated zest of 1 lemon

Toss the berries with sugar, cornflour, lemon juice & zest together in a bowl till well combined. Pour them into pie dish & egg wash the edges. Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 3-mm thickness. Cover the pie dush with the pastry. Press the sides with fork & trim the excess. Brush the top with egg wash.
Bake at preheated oven of 200C for 35 mins or until golden brown.


The yummy berries in my ramekin, before baking.

Yummy berry pie, half gone, perfect with coffee !



As I only have 180g of sweet pastry left in the freezer, I had to make it into 3 small pies in my ramekins. For 180g of sweet pastry, I used 3 ramekins, 2 of 1/2 cup capacity & 1 of 3/4 capacity.
As for the filling, I halved it. A combination of strawberries & blueberries have been used for the pie filling.
This pie is not at all sweet & over filling since there's only pastry on top. This recipe is a real keeper, am going to be baking this very often as everyone loves it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails