Friday, July 18, 2008

Whole Wheat Pretzels


The girls have been bugging me to let them make some whole wheat pretzels in their " My A to Z Recipe Box" that I got for them from Borders in February. The recipes in the box are very simple, kids friendly but still an adult's help is required, after all they are just few year old kids !
Our pretzels didn't quite looked liked pretzels, I was hoping for something like our favourite Aunty Anne's Pretzels ! Sad to say, I've never done well in my Arts class in school, always just managed to pass with a 'D', so our pretzels turned out like I don't know what, I'm not telling who made which among the three of us !!!!
In case anyone might be interested in some dough twisting during the weekends or holidays with their kids, this is an easy recipe to try :

1 1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
11g Instant yeast
1 1/2 cups Milk
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2 cups Whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp Oil

Milk for brushing pretzels
Course salt, sesame or sunflower seeds

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt & yeast, mix well.

In a pot, heat milk, brown sugar & oil, heat gently until warm (not hot)

Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture & beat with the electric mixer for 3 mins, then add the whole wheat flour & mix well.

Shape the dough into a ball, cover & let rise for 1 hr.
Punch dough down, pull a handful of the dough & roll it into a long snake. Twist the snake & tie in into any shape you like. Place pretzels on baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Brush each pretzel with milk & sprinkle with coarse salt, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds. Bake in preheated 475 F for 20 mins.

* I halved the recipe & made 8 pretzels, each pretzel weighing 50g. The pretzels are not as crusty as those found in shops, I've tried one, it's quite chewy though. I sprinkled the top with cinnamon sugar instead of salt, the pretzels are baked in 220 degree & they are cooked in 12 mins.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails